COVID-19 Resources & Information

Society of St. Vincent de Paul

Page last updated 06/06/2021
St. Vincent de Paul Conference covering the 75023 zip code: (972) 532-9607

Due to the rapidly changing COVID-19 situation, we have assembled this list of related resources we hope can help serve your needs. We expect this list to change frequently, so check back often if your needs continue. These COVID-19 resources are a supplement to our more general Charitable Resources Guide that can be found here.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where can I find work? - Many grocery stores, delivery services, and delivery-oriented food chains are hiring currently.  See the Employment section below.
  2. I am homeless, or about to be - How can I get help? - There are various agencies who can help you find housing, or avoid homelessness.  See our Homeless Resources pamphlet and the "Housing"section below.
  3. I can't pay my bills or loans - what can I do?  Prioritize! Decide what's most important and address those first - food, medicine, housing, utilities, car, phone, internet, etc.?  Contact your lender/landlord ASAP, kindly explain your situation, and ask if they can reduce or delay your payments.  During this crisis, many lenders will be willing (or even required) to negotiate with you for alternate payment plans.  If this doesn't help, reach out to charitable organizations for help.
  4. I can't pay my rent - Contact your landlord ASAP to negotiate options for rent discounts/extensions, modified due-dates, avoiding late fees, etc.  See this Texas Apartment Association page to read tips for troubled renters.  After contacting your landlord, see the "Housing" section below for other assistance options.
  5. I got an eviction notice - what should I do?  In Collin county, seek advice from the North Texas Fair Housing Center at 469-941-0375.  In Dallas county, contact the Tenant Hotline at or 214-653-6563.  See the Eviction resources in the Housing section below for more information.
  6. I can't pay my mortgage - Contact your lender ASAP to negotiate options to reduce or delay payments (forbearance) and avoid late fees, with details determined by your lender. After contacting your lender, see the "Housing" section below for other assistance options.
  7. I can't pay my credit card bill - Contact the card issuer ASAP to discuss options, such as delaying your payment due-date, waiving late fees, skipping a payment, or lowering the APR of your card.
  8. I'm really stressed - who can I talk to for support?  We're so sorry about your anxiety, and we completely understand.  Call one of these organizations for help:  LifePath Systems (844-544-5939), Texas Health and Human Services (833-986-1919), St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Stephen Ministry (770-866-4979).
  9. I suspect I have COVID-19 - How can I get tested?  See the Testing information under Food & Medical, below.
  10. How can I get vaccinated?  See the Vaccinations section under Food & Medical, below.


  1. Hiring (some employers have even raised hourly rates to attract workers):
  2. Unemployment Benefits:
  3. Work from Home Scams - Be very wary of work-from-home offers - there are a lot of scams cropping up.  NEVER give money or personal/financial information to someone you don't know. If you are uncertain, call our hotline listed at the top of this page and we'll do our best to help.

Financial Help

  1. The Texas Rent Relief Program has emergency funds available to help qualified Texas renters pay rent and utility bills, beginning on February 15, 2021.
  2. The City of Plano Emergency Rental Assistance Program has emergency rent & utility assistance available, administered by Catholic Charities Dallas. Funds sourced from the Texas Emergency Rental Assistance Program (TERAP).
  3. The Assistance Center of Collin County can discuss options for helping with housing, including rent, mortgage, and hotel assistance.  972-422-1850 option 2.
  4. All Community Outreach - rent and mortgage assistance for qualified persons.
  5. Catholic Charities of Dallas has emergency help available for those who qualify.  214-257-0674
  6. Salvation Army of North Texas. Rent, utility, food, and housing services.  214-424-7050
  7. Metrocrest Services, help with rent or utilities (but not for Collin County).  972-446-2100
  8. North Dallas Shared Ministries helps with rent, utilities, food, medical, and dental.  214-358-8700
  9. Network of Community Ministries, limited housing assistance.  972-234-8880 ext. 104
  10. Call North Texas St. Vincent de Paul at 469-607-0909.  They can refer you to advocates that serve your area.
  11. Esusu Rent Relief Fund - interest-free loans for renters affected by COVID-19.
  12. North Texas St. Vincent de Paul Mini-Relief Loans - low interest 12-month loans to help those who lost work due to COVID-19.
  13. City of Dallas COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program provides up to 12 months of rent assistance for up to $1,500 per month to eligible applicants.
  14. Dallas County Emergency Housing Assistance Program (EHAP) is accepting applications for rent, mortgage and utility help for residents in Dallas county but outside the City of Dallas.
  15. FCC Emergency Broadband Benefit provides up to a $50/mo broadband service discount, and a one-time $100 laptop discount, for eligible households.

Housing, Rent, Mortgage

  1. If you expect to have trouble paying your rent or mortgage, immediately contact your landlord/mortgage company to ask about reduced payments, modified due-dates, avoiding late fees, etc. If you still have issues after this, see the Financial Help section for additional help.
  2. Affordable Housing Online has helpful information and coronavirus-related assist low-income households with housing.
  3. Homeless, or at Risk:
  4. Evictions:
  5. Foreclosures:
  6. The North Texas Fair Housing Center provides housing-related advocacy, complaint investigation, and education for free.  469-941-0375.
  7. 2-1-1 Texas - Call 211 for help finding social services such as food, housing, health care, utilities, etc. Note that hold times have been long recently.

Food & Medical

  1. The North Texas Food Bank's Mobile Food Pantry is visiting various locations around the North Texas area.  Click here to see where and when they will host food distribution events.
  2. Food Pantries:  See the North Texas Food Bank Pantry Finder.
  3. SNAP and Medicaid will be automatically renewed during COVID-19.  Click here for details. Once auto-renewals are discontinued, you will be notified by mail to renew your benefits. See the Texas HHS web site for general information about the programs.
  4. SNAP applicants will not need to be interviewed to receive approval, as long as your identity is verified and mandatory verification steps are completed. Click here for details.  See the Texas HHS web site for general information about the programs.
  5. Scams:  Vaccines, Cures, and Home Test Kits. There are many scams being perpetrated, both online and over the phone. NEVER give money or personal/financial information to someone you don't know. If you are uncertain, call our hotline listed at the top of this page and we'll do our best to help.
  6. Testing - available at various locations, including these, which may be free for the uninsured (call to confirm):
  7. Vaccinations:


  1. The Assistance Center of Collin County may have funds available to help with utility payments.  972-422-1850
  2. The Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) helps eligible households with utility co-payments.  (903) 893-2161 x3541
  3. TXU Energy assistance – Works with customers on deferred payment plans.
  4. Reliant Energy assistance - Works with customers on payment extensions and deferred payment plans.
  5. Atmos Energy assistance – Works with customers to develop payment plans.

COVID-19 Resources & Information from Governments/Agencies

  1. City of Plano
  2. Collin County
  3. City of Dallas
  4. Dallas County
  5. State of Texas
  6. Texas Workforce Commission (unemployment benefits)
  7. Texas Health and Human Services (HHS)
  8. US Government
  9. IRS
  10. Treasury Department
  11. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau